Thursday, October 27, 2011

Not a fan of the but sandwich

So, here's how it goes ...


When someone wants or needs to give constructive criticism, one common way for delivering it is the "compliment/criticism/compliment" formula.  I refer to this as "the but sandwich".  For example, "I really like what you're doing with your hair, but some of our customers think it's a bit unprofessional so I'm going to have to ask you to tone down the green color.  I think your creativity is really cool."


I'm not a fan of the but sandwich.


Many people think compliments ease criticism - the spoonful of sugar argument.  I don't agree.  I think once someone hears the "but ... " everything said before is erased from memory or remembered as false praise.


I think people take on constructive feedback more readily when you offer it up with respect, but without ceremony - the eat your vegetables first argument.


After almost four years of writing a blog for work (the opinions expressed here are solely my own (although they may be inspired by the people in my life)), I decided it's time to start a personal one, too.  I've got opinions yearning to breath free.  I plan to use this opportunity to offer up my but-sandwich-free critiques of various and sundry things.  Who knows, maybe even one or two of them are valid.

1 comment:

  1. May the but sandwich be finally taken off the menu!!! Agree and eagerly await more PS notes.

    ReplyDelete