Tuesday, November 13, 2012

USPS, yes!

I'm a big fan of the US Postal Service.

No, really, I am.

I think there's something magical about being able to send a card or letter from Alaska to Florida for less than the price of a Snickers bar.

I am also a big fan of the handwritten thank you note. If you've known me for long, worked with me or served on a volunteer committee with me, chances are you've received a thank you note in the mail from me. I believe a mailed note demonstrates putting more time and effort into the thank you than an email thank you. The USPS has been my partner in saying "thank you" for years.

The Australia Post isn't living up to the standards I've come to expect from my general mail delivery provider.

First, they DO NOT pick up outgoing mail from your mailbox. I know, right?! It took me a long time to wrap my head around this one. You have to take your letter to a post office or drop it into a postal box. I mean, the postal employee is already there, delivering your mail, doesn't it seem more efficient to have them pick up your outgoing mail?

Second, no Saturday delivery. You wouldn't think just one day could slow things down so much, but it does. I know the USPS is considering dropping Saturday delivery to meet budget constraints and I think this will be a huge loss.

Third, when we moved from the holiday house to our permanent home, I wasn't allowed to have my mail forwarded. You have to be a citizen with an Australian passport or have permanent legal resident status (and documents to prove it) to even request forwarding. On top of that, you have to pay about $20 for each month you want it forwarded AND it takes about four weeks to process your request.

Fourth, they don't deliver direct mail. Now, you may think that's good, but stay with me on this one, because I still receive junk mail ... lots and lots of junk mail. However, the publishers of the weekly store ads and such pay people to go around and deliver them to each mailbox. These various groups aren't connected or coordinated and I often end up getting "mail" delivered two or three times a day (this is in addition to the Australia Post delivery). 

Fifth, not only am I getting less service, I'm paying more for it. For example, the price of a USPS First Class stamp is .45 compared to .60 in Australia. To send a letter from the US to Australia is $1.05.  To send a letter from Australia to the US is $1.65. And I suppose that's the bottom line difference.  Australia Post appears to be a financially healthy organization by doing less and charging more. The USPS is facing major financial shortfalls and looking at major organization overhauls to stay viable.

Which makes me sad, because I really am and have always been a huge fan of the USPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment