Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How do you do that laundry voodoo

A couple weeks ago, I marked the six month anniversary of our move to Australia and the launch of my Australian (mis)adventures. Six months gone and I still have a long list of things to figure out. A few at the top of the list include driving (my international license expires in June), the education system (just learned we have to register M for "4-year kindy" when he turns two in April), the lingo and the medical system (oi, don't get me started).

Also at the top of my laundry list of "to do" items is laundry.

I know how to do laundry. I've been sorting and folding for 30-some years and I have the gist of things. The problem is line drying.

Every Australian has a clothesline. Not every Australian has a clothes dryer. I've never liked line dried laundry. It always felt hard and crunchy and rough. Additionally, I never knew anyone who used line drying to the exclusion of a clothes dryer. Sure, people would hang up towels and swimsuits and such in the summer, but real laundry required a real dryer.

When we first moved, we stayed in a holiday house. It had a clothes washer, but no dryer. I muddled through and tried to soften the fabrics up as much as possible and kept reminding myself it was just temporary.

Once we settled on a permanent residence, my first purchases were a refrigerator  clothes washer and clothes dryer. The laundry room didn't have space for a dryer, so it sits a bit precariously on top of the washer, but I was determined to make it work.

My clothes dryer and I have hummed blissfully along for several months, but now it's summer. When the temperature tops 25 C (~78 F), it feels wrong and wasteful to use the clothes dryer. When it tips over 35 C, it feels downright immoral (wasteful, irresponsible, etc.).

So, I've been trying really really hard to fix the things I don't like about line dried laundry, but I'm struggling and need advice.

1. How do you keep the fabric from feeling rough and crunchy?
Seriously, using a bath towel feels like I'm exfoliating my skin. I've experimented with different fabric softeners. I've tried periodically shaking the fabrics and fluffing the clothes during the drying process. Nothing seems to help. Y'all must have some secret laundry voodoo for keeping your fabric soft. TELL ME WHAT IT IS.

2. How do you hang large items?
Bedding? How do you keep it from touching the ground? I've resorted to pinning them in multiple places, creating a sort of draping effect, but this takes up lots of lines and limits the ability to dry much else at the same time. Are their special large item hanging tricks? Do you resign yourself to not being able to wash anything else on days you wash the bedding?

3. Spiders?
How do you keep spiders from making webs all over the clothesline? Or, ickier yet, from making a spidie hidie hole inside your sock?

4. Time, time, time
I am blessed to be home full time with M and even sans professional job, I struggle to make time to get done all I need to get done in a day. Adding hanging, fluffing and bringing in of the laundry to everyday feels overwhelming. And I do several loads of laundry everyday. For the days when the summer heat isn't full on, I cannot line dry more than one load a day. I can't figure the math on this one. If one doesn't use a dryer, how does one ever get caught up?

Yes, I know this is whiny. And a first world problem. I'm open to doing more line drying, I just need a little supportive advice on how to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment