Friday, May 18, 2012

Highway to the danger zone


Previously, I touched on the issues with Fessenden and how they contribute to making Portland a non-livable place for my family.  Due to speeding traffic and no marked crosswalks, I only cross it with M in off hours (Sunday morning at 7) when I am confident I'll be able to safely navigate the stroller.


An article on OregonLive today highlights the problem and the recommended solutions as proposed by a committee.


But as the advocates for the neighborhood point out, the proposal 1)doesn’t go far enough and 2)isn’t funded.  I’m skeptical anything will happen to truly alleviate the traffic and reduce the danger.


Besides, the proposal focuses mostly on industrial trick traffic.  It’s not just trucks, it’s everybody.  Cars, trucks, busses, police cars and bikes all race past as we stand and wait to cross.  Sometimes one driver will stop to try and let us pass, but the other lane of traffic continues to whiz by and eventually the stopped driver will give up. 


I see only two real solutions:
1.  Install traffic lights, forcing drivers to stop every few blocks.  I would be willing to have a little longer of a walk to use a signaled crosswalk.  Plus, eventually this would make Fessenden an undesirable through-way option for drivers.
2.  Have police officers placed every few blocks and site the drivers who speed or violate pedestrian right-of-way laws (after all every corner is a crosswalk, just enforce ORS 811.028).


However, I recognize both are long shots due to the current state of Portland's budget and the minimal sway many in the neighborhood hold (as outlined in the article) with the local government.  Alto


When I moved to St. Johns, I loved it.  It was perfect for blissfully, fervently single and childless me.  I was three miles from my office, close to downtown, halfway between sister #1 in the West Hills and sister #2 in Vancouver, and a straight shot out Highway 30 to my parents’ home.  And, best of all, the library, shops, the Farmers’ Market, yoga & Pilates at the community center, grocery store and yummy restaurants were just a one mile walk from my front door.


Walking alone, I found Fessenden annoying and troublesome, but now that I have M, I recognize how dangerous it is.  I have no idea how we would teach him traffic safety when there is no safe way to cross this street.


We're lucky that Pier Park is within walking distance.  We don't have to cross Fessenden to get to it and it's a beautiful park.  However, we're cut off from all the St. Johns' town center area has to offer.


As much as I wish it were otherwise, I keep coming back to the same conclusion.  Living in Portland is not a long-term, raise-a-child option for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment