Friday, March 16, 2012

The City of Portland hates me and wants me to move away

... okay, so not me specifically, but they definitely have no interest in making the city more livable for me and my demographic.

I've loved Portland unconditionally for so long, but in an all too common story, she seems only interested in taking and not giving.  Pre-hubs, pre-baby, everything was going along so well, but now that I'm asking for a little sumthin' sumthin' in return (navigable sidewalks, enforced crosswalks, a water bill that doesn't suck my child's college fund dry), she's turned on me.

Point 1: The previously protested coerced composting.  I have yet to hear a viable solution to the diaper problem (although, B is convinced M will be potty trained by 14 months).

Point 2: My water/sewer bill doubled while the units used remained the same.  Whoa.  Portland is becoming a  city where people below a certain economic level are not wanted.

Point 3: They feel no need for crosswalks.  To walk the mile from our house to the library and park (something we do often), we must cross a heavily driven street with no marked crosswalk for a three+ mile stretch.  Usually, we stand there with the stroller for about five minutes as cars, trucks, soccer mom mini vans, TriMet buses and police cars whiz by, ignoring us.  B is convinced the US transit system is designed to discourage pedestrians and argues we cannot teach M safe practices of crossing the road, because there are none.  I used to wonder why kids didn't hop on their bikes and ride to the library or park. Now I know.  It isn't safe ... not for stranger danger issues, but because they can't safely cross a road.  So unless the park is on the same block where you live, you're outta luck.

Point 4: Similarly, sidewalks need not be maintained, according to the City.  We have a great stroller, but most of the sidewalks in our area are cracked and full of horsts and grabens, maxing out what a stroller is meant to handle.  Only about 50% of our neighborhood sidewalks have ramps at the curbs.  B has developed a sort of "launch the baby" system to ride rough shod over it all, but it freaks me out.

Point 5: Lack of career opportunity.  A Masters degree and eight years experience in that field (six years at one organization with national recognition for development & execution of initiatives) earns you a job delivering sandwiches for a deli in Portland. Unless you are in the wind energy field or up for the risk of opening a food cart, Portland leadership isn't working in your favor.  I don't have stats on it, but my personal experience frames Portland as the field team for Seattle and San Francisco.  People want to live here, but for professional opportunity, they need to move.  SEA and SFO businesses seem ready, willing and able to scoop up Portland's underemployed talent.  Portland seems even worse when it comes to opportunities for women, although this extends to Oregon in general.  Time and again, we hear move here and I'll hire you in a second.

For years, I gave.  I paid taxes, I volunteered, I patronized businesses.  And I bragged.  Boy, did I brag about how wonderful Portland was.  Now I feel like I gave of myself, my time, my loyalty foolishly.  Portland pretended we had a mutually beneficial relationship, but when I sought a little in return, nothing was there.

Fortunately for me, I/we are wanted in other places, other cities.  They may not be my first love, but I'm optimistic I'll find true love ... and love in return.

4 comments:

  1. As I mentioned on Twitter and Google+, I like many things about Portland but you've hit on some of the issues which are why I live outside the city limits. Points one, three, and four that you made ultimately boil down to the political priorities of those in office, and for years the voters of Portland have elected city leadership that chooses to spend dollars on various projects which aren't in line for what I feel makes a great place to live. I'm going to generalize, but what I've found is that anything that can be remotely connected to being "green" or "sustainable" is going to get prioritized over everything else. I'm not advocating for an oil refinery in everyone's backyard, but other things are suffering as Portland becomes an eco-capitol.

    The water/sewer bill thing is fascinating, since the city of Portland is currently being sued over misuse of those funds.

    If you'd complained about a lack of parking, you would've hit my other big sticking point. I find myself avoiding doing business in many parts of the city because I know I'll have to either circle around to find parking or I'll pay a crazy fee to park for a couple hours.

    And now I'll step down off my soapbox...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy! Don't even get me started on parking. Or the fact that most stops signs are obstructed from view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sustainability.... eco-friendly? Really? Is that the source of the problem or part of the solution? I've been to plenty of cities without these values and the infrastructure is still lacking. I don't mean to endorse the leadership; but, for example, if they do something like paint bike lanes on the streets to encourage this mode of transpo to help the air quality and free up some parking downtown I can get behind it. I honestly don't believe ignoring sustainability and a clean environment is good for families in the long run. IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Michael, up to a point. I think we need balance, though. I like the bike lanes. I just would also like usable sidewalks and enforced crosswalks. I perceive the city has too narrow a focus and things get done to address one problem at the expense of too many other issues. And too many Portland residents get forgotten.

    ReplyDelete