Sunday, August 19, 2012

Law of diminishing retweets

I stop patronizing brands I previously raved about when they don't acknowledge my questions/rave reviews/retweets.  And, I wonder if others do this, too.

I realize I am just one insignificant consumer to them, but I expect more from a brand when they hang out a social shingle.  Isn't engaging in two-way dialog kinda the point?

For example, I made a switch to almond milk a year ago.  I'd done lots of taste testing and narrowed "my brand" down to two  brands, Silk and Pacific Foods.  I tweeted this and asked the twitterverse for feedback on which almond milk brands they liked best.  I hoped I would hear from Silk and Pacific Foods with some additional nuggets of information about their product that would tip my decision.  Neither brand piped in.  Their lack of interest in me spawned my lack of interest in them.  I reopened my taste testing and ultimately chose another brand.

Why be on Twitter if you don't engage?  Why pretend to be social when you're just using a different medium to broadcast the same messages?

No comments:

Post a Comment