Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It's (kinda) all about me

M calls me "Me".

I attribute it two possibilities:
1. the end sound in "mommy" or 
2. he hears me refer to myself as "me" a lot (come see me, hold still for me, etc.).

B posed a third possibility based on the theory that infants and toddlers don't see their parents as separate entities, but rather an extension of themselves ... I think it's a form of narcissism, but I'm not sure of the actual clinical term.  Thus, by calling me "me", he's reiterating that I am simply another appendage of his, there to do his bidding.

While I recognize the reasoning behind this idea, I'm not on board with it.  After all, M calls B "Buhben".  If M viewed us as part of him, wouldn't B also be "me"?

And, I know M is pretty self involved and lacks empathy, but I think he's aware enough to know I'm a completely separate person.

I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment