Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Addiction addiction?

I wrote a creative non-fiction piece for a writing workshop a few years ago about the instructor of a yoga class I took.  She was one of the meanest people I've ever met and it horrified me that she was introducing yoga newbies to their practice.  She berated and verbally abused us.   Our breathing was too loud, too quiet, too deep, too shallow; we did it all “wrong, wrong, wrong”.  At one point, she told a gal she was too fat to do a headstand.  I should have stood up to her (that's what you do with bullies), but for reasons I may detail at another time, I didn't.  

Dorcas and I dubbed her the yoga Nazi. I thought I crafted a funny and interesting piece exploring the juxtaposition of this woman’s vicious temperament with the inner peace one usually gains from meditation and yoga (and, her name was Joy ... I mean seriously, I couldn't have made up a better character).  When it was my turn on the writer’s hot seat, I got the usual generic feedback from the other writers (I had a bad habit of ignoring most of the participants except the three I thought wrote very well).  Then, the guy I thought was the best writer in the workshop spoke. 
“No matter how mean a yoga teacher is, she’s no Nazi and it weakens everything else you write to stoop to a cliché pop culture bastardization of it.”
 He was right.  I’ve never used Nazi for any reason other than when referring to an actual Nazi since.  And, I bristle a bit every time I hear someone else use it to describe anything less than genuinely Nazi-like behavior. I’m starting to have the same response to the increasing use of “addiction” talk. In the past three days, I’ve heard about addictions to Angry Birds, chocolate, shoes, silver jewelry, sugar, sewing, Facebook, books/reading and sports. (Sewing?  That’s new.) Don’t get me wrong.  I really, really love a lot of things.  But to define my wanting to eat a whole lotta Jelly Belly sours (and I can eat a whole lot) as an addiction just doesn’t jive with me. At the risk of getting all PC Police about it, doesn’t the proliferation of this word dilute the life impairing, life limiting dependence of an actual addiction?  I understand pleasure sensors of the brain are triggered by certain foods or behaviors, causing someone to indulge in said foods or behaviors as often as possible.  However, does indulgence or even over-indulgence, rise to the level of addiction? More and more, I think not.

What I do think is we've become addicted to calling things addictions.  Consider this my intervention for our "addiction" addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment