Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Plan is not a four-letter word

Okay, it is ... I mean, I can count and there are four letters.  My point is, developing a strategic MarCom plan is not a vulgar and profane act to be avoided.  Nor is it dull and boring and a waste of time.  In fact, if you wanna rock the house?  Plan for it.


After six weeks of failed attempts at schedule coordination with my friend Joel (one of my favorite people), I finally got to see him yesterday and have a proper chat.  


Joel is a real estate broker who is very busy and doing very well in a purportedly wretched market.  I asked him why he thought he was doing well at a time when others struggled painfully.  He talked about a lot of factors he felt contributed, but I think it comes down to two things:
1.  He works really, really hard to do what is in the best interest of his clients.  The boy's got a lotta integrity.
2.  He never stopped marketing.  He watched as those around him chose to slash their marketing dollars, but never fell into that trap.


Joel's a savvy entrepreneur and marketer.  And that's why I was surprised by what he said next.


"I need to get on Twitter."


"Why," I asked (as I always do when someone says this).  


"I've been told I need to."


I love Twitter.  I follow smart, creative, get-it-done people on Twitter and learn from them everyday.  However, I firmly believe successful marketing depends on strategic planning.  Strategic planning depends on answering the five W's and How first, then taking action.  And if you don't know the what, why, when, where, who or how of your Twitter plan, you don't have one.


Don't engage in a MarCom social media platform just because someone tells you you should.  You know your business, you know your market.  Check it out.  Will this medium reach your target audience and, if so, how?  If not, it's okay to stay open to it, but don't invest time you don't have in a half-baked campaign. 


So, when it comes to your marketing, plan, prepare, perfect and perform.


And, if you need a broker, call Joel.

No comments:

Post a Comment