Tuesday, April 24, 2012

It's all about me

So, you know how my husband is amazing, right?  No?  Well, he is.


A couple weeks ago, expressed concern (see lectured) me about spending too much time on work, baby, AMA, ACS, other commitments and not enough time doing things just for me.  He encouraged (see lectured) me to make more time for myself.


I admitted he was right (see vehemently disagreed, slept on it and changed my mind) and made a list of things I would like to do.


1.  Join a book club.
2.  Take a cooking class (either learn how to make pastries, Indian food or Thai food).
3.  Take a design class (I muddle through okay, but I don't like being just okay at anything).
4.  Re-enroll in Pilates (or Yoga).
5.  Take a baby and me class (maybe baby and me Pilates or Yoga).
6.  Take swim lessons (my swimming style can best be described as not drowning).


I showed B my list.  Some items were praised (Pilates, swim lessons), some were frowned upon ("A baby and me class would be wonderful, fantastic, do it, but it doesn't count as something just for you).  I decided I would start looking immediately for a book club to join.


Then I hit a road block.  I couldn't find the kind of club I wanted.  I had this image of talking with people smarter than me about nonfiction books that dissected theories of communications, business, personal-professional development, culture shifts, big ideas.  Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but I just couldn't find it.


I asked a few people (smarter than me) if they had heard of such a book club.  None of them had.  But, all of them thought it sounded interesting and something they would like to do, too.


I mulled it over.  If that was the book club I wanted (and I did), I needed to launch it myself.  So I did.


I went through my LinkedIn connections and invited about 20 people (smarter than me) that I thought might be interested in such a thing.  In less than 24 hours, I had nine "yes" responses.


Whoa, it was actually happening.  Now I needed to actually do it.


I set up a group on LinkedIn so we could collaborate on the plan.  


We've already selected our first book (well, I already had the book in mind ... happily, everyone else is on board with it), Imagine: How creativity works.


I. Am. So. Excited.  It's like I've got my own Vicious Circle full of wit and wisdom.  And, I am all in.


I have no idea how this will go ... I've never done anything like it before.  But, I'll keep you posted on what I learn from it all (even if that is I have no business starting a book club).  If nothing else, I'm going to read some inspiring books and talk about the ideas in them with some inspiring people.


And that is just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment